Vietnam Tourism -Hanoi, situated in the delta of the Red River and enveloped by various lakes is the, the capital city of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
The word Hanoi means river interior and established in 1010 A.D, Hanoi for many centuries served as the capital of various Vietnamese dynasties. Hanoi consisting of eight inner districts and five outer districts is the political, cultural, economic as well as the technological centre of the whole country. The city of Hanoi still vividly bears the marks of French colonial architecture and cherishing life in this picturesque city gives a nostalgic reminder of the old world charm of the European villages.
The rich heritage of Vietnam and its capital, Hanoi is best reflected through the six national museums. Army Museum in Hanoi occupies a special poignant position among the six national museums as it depicts the war history of Vietnam and embodies the armed struggle of the Vietnamese people.
Where in Hanoi can give you thorough understanding of Vietnam’s great victory against the French colonialists and American imperialists? Here it is, the Military History Museum.
Most tourists have more or less heard of Vietnam’s historical and heroic struggle against mighty invaders from France and the USA. They, as a result, now flock to Vietnam in general and Hanoi in particular so as to figure out how such a small country as Vietnam could win over in the past severe resistance war!
Hence, in order to retain and preserve the factual objects, artifacts, and vivid proofs of the great national heroic struggle, the Ministry of Defence, under the Vietnam Communist Party’s policy, had the building of the Army Museum (to be changed into Military History Museum in 2002) constructed at the end of 1954, and held its opening ceremony on 22nd December, 1959 on the occasion of the 15th anniversary of the Vietnam People’s Army foundation.
Located in the center of Hanoi, near V.L Lenin’s statue, the Military History Museum is only 600 m from President Ho Chi Minh’s Mausoleum to the East, and covers a 10,000 – square meter area.
Not only is this museum one of the seven national museums but also it acts as the headquater of the army museum system. The museum exhibitions present the Vietnamese military history from the first period of founding the country to the Ho Chi Minh era. One of the well – known ancient monuments on the grounds of the museum in Hanoi flag Tower, classified as a national historic cultural monument. The construction of the Tower started in 1805 and was completed in 1812, with a height of nearly 31 m and a circumstance of 180 m.
Visiting the museum, tourists can see thousands of exhibits, photographs, maps, scale models of the past Vietnam war. Thanks to this, visitors will have a good general knowledge of the process of the birth, growth and victories of the Vietnamese people’s armed forces for the cause of peace, independence and freedom.
These days, the Vietnam Military History Museum is widely open to all visitors, many of whom are from France and the USA, to come and explore the great victory’s secrets. Up to now, it has received more than 17,000,000 visitors including more than 2,141,000 foreigners from 150 countries worldwide.
Features of Army Museum in Hanoi
– Army Museum in Hanoi spread on an area of10.000 square meter was founded on Dec, 22nd 1959.
– Army Museum in Hanoi offers a vivid and fascinating history of the Vietnam War under the leadership of Vietnam’s communist party and of president Ho Chi Minh.
– Hanoi flag Tower, a national historic cultural monument, shares the adjoining ground with the Army Museum in Hanoi. The construction of 31 meter high Hanoi flag Tower got completed in 1812.
– The history of Vietnam’s struggle for peace, independence and freedom of the nation is best captured in the thousands of exhibits displayed in the Army Museum in Hanoi.
– The exhibits of Army Museum in Hanoi primarily comprises of maps, scale models, military weapons and personal belongings of individuals associated with war the best part of the museum is that all the displayed items are accompanied by English translations.
– Army Museum in Hanoi displays a wide collection of military waste including a Mig fighter, anti aircraft missiles, tanks, and remarkable heap of wreckage from a US B52 bomber and French prop driven plane that were both blast in the Hanoi area and the tank that explode through the gates in Saigon during the battle for liberation.
– The Army Museum in Hanoi is located just opposite to the park which is adorned by a statue of Lenin and the address of the Army Museum, Hanoi is 28A Dien Bien Phu Street, Hanoi Vietnam.
The Vietnam Military History Museum is open daily exept Monday and Friday.
Address: No. 28A, Dien Bien Phu Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
Tel: (84-4) 7334682 Fax: (84 4) 7334692
E-mail: [email protected]
Army Museum in Hanoi